The Book of Mike

"This is no junior college. This is the notorious University of Miami.” -- Marlins starter Dontrelle Willis, after getting knocked around for six runs in 2 1/3 innings by the Canes.

Sunday, April 11, 2004

Ridiculous

For those of you who haven't already called to ask, yes, I was wearing a gray t-shirt and black hat at last night's Marlins game. Apparently I was visible for much of the ring ceremony on tv. I guess there are perks for having seats in the right-center gap!

Oh - and for those of you who are particularly astute - Hee Seop Choi's second home run last night, his third of the year and second of the game - did come precariously close to my seat once again. This one landed two rows up and about five seats over. Slightly farther away than Choi's debut homerun was from my seat. Sadly, I again had no chance to catch this home run as the crowd converged around me and moved towards the ball - me included - in an attempt to catch it. After my experiences with these two blasts I have much more respect for those cho catch home run balls and I now realize that's there's at least as much luck as skill involved in the equation. Many of us could catch a fly ball if left unimpeded by other spectators. But part of it is just being in the right place at the right time when you're surrounded by hundreds or thousands of others.

On a loosely related note, the Marlins broadcasters noted today that Jack McKeon refers to Hee Seop Choi as IHOP. As in the restaurant. Tommy Hutton asked Choi before the game if he frequented the establishment and Hutton seemed incredulous when he found out that Choi had never set foot in any of the franchise's locations. Hutton felt that since IHOP is the International House of Pancakes that someone as multi-national/cultural as Choi would surely have spent his meal money at an IHOP at least once or twice.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home