The Book of Mike

"This is no junior college. This is the notorious University of Miami.” -- Marlins starter Dontrelle Willis, after getting knocked around for six runs in 2 1/3 innings by the Canes.

Wednesday, September 22, 2004

Quotes

As many of you have probably realized by now – at least if you’re a regular reader of this site – is that I tend to change the quote under the title (look above) pretty regularly. Usually I’ll get a comment or two here or there about whatever the quote might be. The current quote (by Virginia’s Marquis Weeks – “That was just instinct. Kind of like running from the cops, I guess you could say.”) has been by far more popular than any other.

In fact, most of the hits I’ve gotten this week – probably more than half of them – have been from people who type Weeks’ quote into a search engine and eventually find their way to my site. I hope that those folks are realizing that the quote is in the title area and – until this post – wasn’t really a part of anything that I’d written.

In the spirit of Marquis Weeks’ quote, I thought I’d share some other quotes I came across and heard recently that I particularly liked:

"I'm training Confuciusly everyday." -- Mike Tyson

I’m not sure of the origin of this quote, but apparently it’s from an interview that Tyson gave recently. On Monday (9/20) Mike and Mike of ESPN’s morning show played the interview and kept replaying this particular quote. Although I found it to be quite amusing, I’m not sure why. I’m also not sure what Tyson meant exactly. ESPN’s Mike Golic thought that Tyson might have meant “profusely” instead of “Confuciusly” but everyone agreed that wouldn’t make much more sense anyway.

One has to wonder though if Tyson just wished he could “fade into Bolivia” after uttering that line. For some reason I doubt that though.

"Yeah, good things don't end with -eum, they end with -mania, or -teria." - Homer Simpson

There’s really not much to add to that quote. It’s pretty much just true. If you can think of something that violates Homer’s Law drop me a line and let me know.

And finally, an old classic from San Diego Padres radio announcer Jerry Coleman (make sure to read this as it’s written – the wording is Coleman’s; obviously he meant it differently, but I’m sure if you were in your car and heard this come over the airwaves, you might have been a little scared for poor Dave):

"Winfield goes back to the wall. He hits his head on the wall -- andit rolls off! It's rolling all the way back to second base! This is aterrible thing for the Padres."

What really happened here was that Dave Winfield (then of the Padres of course) ran into the outfield fence at about the same time as he was trying to catch a fly ball. The collision (c’mon – you’ve seen this before – man versus wall, wall wins) caused Winfield to drop the ball. This was a terrible thing for the Padres because since the ball was not caught, it was in play. But do not worry; Winfield’s head was not taken off by the play. It was really the ball rolling back towards second base.

And of course, there’s always Baseball Prospectus’s Monday Quote article, which I always enjoy (and it’s one of their freebies for you non-subscribers).

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home