The Book of Mike

"This is no junior college. This is the notorious University of Miami.” -- Marlins starter Dontrelle Willis, after getting knocked around for six runs in 2 1/3 innings by the Canes.

Thursday, September 15, 2005

Football Picks

I know that it doesn't count because I didn't tell anyone ahead of time and I didn't even publish it, but last week (for the first time ever), I made some football picks (just for fun). Amazingly, I went 4-0 last week against the spread. A handful of games just jumped out at me. They were:

Tulsa + 31
Clemson + 1
Virginia Tech - 31
Northern Illinois + 2.5

Clemson made things scary for awhile, and Northern Illinois' game was very close too. But in the end I would have "won" them all. But it was all just pretend.

I was hoping that more games would jump out at me this week, but so far they haven't. The games of interest to me (point spread wise) are:

Oregon State +13 (vs. Louisville)

There are a number of interesting college games this weekend, but I'm not comfortable making a recommended wager on any of them:

Miami (-7) at Clemson
Oklahoma at UCLA (-6)
Tennessee at Florida (-4.5)
Florida State at Boston College (-1)

I have no idea what's going to happen in the Miami game.

I still can't get past the idea of Oklahoma getting that many points, despite how much they've struggled and despite that they'll be on the road. Have you seen Adrian Peterson? He single-handedly beat Tulsa last week and Tulsa knew what he was going to do (run right at them).

Boston College could be the real deal. But maybe Florida State (with all of their athletes) will really put it together this weekend.

It should be an interesting weekend. This is why I'm not a gambler.

2 Comments:

  • At 3:37 PM, September 15, 2005, Blogger Mike said…

    And sadly it may now be time to turn on the spam filters for the comments.

    Who are you? Why would you "love to meet" me there?

     
  • At 9:19 AM, September 16, 2005, Blogger Mike said…

    I don't think Peterson's going to be benched. I thought OU only made him sit out of practice (maybe two) for missing class.

    Sounds pretty lax, but I think he's playing the full game.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home