The Book of Mike

"This is no junior college. This is the notorious University of Miami.” -- Marlins starter Dontrelle Willis, after getting knocked around for six runs in 2 1/3 innings by the Canes.

Monday, October 20, 2003

The World Series in Miami

Well, the Fish came up short in game 2. Pettitte pitched a gem and the Marlins returned to Miami with a 1 - 1 split. As you can see in my previous post, I don't think this bodes well for the team. However, it's about all you can ask for. And if anyone had said that the Marlins would have a 30% chance of winning the World Series after the first two games were played at the beginning of the season - even a week ago when they were down 3 games to one against the Cubs - everyone would have thought the person who said that was crazy. So I'm feeling pretty good.

Especially because I'm going to attend games 3, 4, and 5 of the 2003 World Series in person. I've never been to the World Series before, so I'm very excited. Particularly to see if the place feels different. I expect that it will, although I'll admit that even for playoff games (in 1997 and 2003) the stadium never really felt electric, like I've felt at other baseball playoff venues or basketball stadiums. I'm also excited to see what is likely Clemens' last start and a lot of other things.

For game 3 I'm sitting down the rightfield line in the lower deck, game 4 I'm 20 rows back right behind home plate (awesome work hookup - although we'll probably have to talk a little business), and for game 5 I'm in the centerfield upper deck (yikes!). All were for face value or less, so I'm happy.

Since I'll be attending all three games, blogging will be light or non-existent over the next few days - unfortunately. I'll be going straight to the stadium each night from work and I expect I'll need to crash afterwards if I have any hope of making it back to work the next day. But it will be worth it. And if anyone's interested, I'm sure I'll have a complete post game wrapup on Friday or Saturday.

Oh, and I broke down at the mall yesterday and bought a Marlins World Series hat and a Willis World Series jersey. I couldn't help myself - despite my post from early Sunday. I really like this team - particularly some of the players, like Willis, Cabrera, Pierre, et al. Yes, I know Juan Pierre and Dontrelle Willis are likely having career years, but they've been fun to watch. The ownership is another issue - but that will be the focus of the bulk of our offseason Marlins coverage, so I'll save it, particularly since it's the WORLD SERIES.

Oh, and if you'll be at the game(s), make sure to check out the "Everybody's doing the Fish" video (they broke it out a few times during the regular season). There are a few shots (despite everyone being in teal and it obviously having been filmed in 1997 - how does it already look dated?) that are definitely worth watching.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home