The Book of Mike

"This is no junior college. This is the notorious University of Miami.” -- Marlins starter Dontrelle Willis, after getting knocked around for six runs in 2 1/3 innings by the Canes.

Friday, October 10, 2003

Killing the Momentum We've Built

I'm sure that the dozens of you out there who have been reading this blog everyday since it's inception (ok, so it's less than a week) will be disappointed to hear that I'm going out of town and will not have access to a computer until Sunday.

Yes, it's true. I'm leaving Miami for a quick weekend getaway and while I am away I will miss the two or three of the biggest Marlins games in the last six years. I'm not that happy about it, but I am happy that I'm going out of town to watch the Canes face off against the Noles in Tallahassee. Hopefully it will be a good game, but I'm just hoping that the Canes don't get blown out. This is the first time in the Larry Coker era that I've gone into the game expecting the Canes to lose. Oh well, it had to happen sometime.

This weekend should be a great weekend for baseball (although the college football slate is pretty strong too). The Clemens - Martinez matchup on Saturday at Fenway sounds like the makings for an Instant Classic. Well, that's at least what I'm hoping, since I probably won't be able to see the game - although it will probably be on the radio in the car.

Miami is definitely buzzing with Marlins fever. Hopefully the Fish will be able to take two of three this weekend and go back to Chicago with an edge. A three game sweep is too much to hope for. My best guess - no analysis, just gut feel - is that the Cubs will win game 3 tonight, but that the Fish will come back to take Games 4 and 5. Eventually though, if the Marlins are to win this series, they will have to beat either Prior or Wood at least once.

Check out the Cub Reporter while I'm away (although I think most of you are coming from there anyway). If you're looking for interesting college football coverage, I'm becoming partial to http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/writers/stewart_mandel/archive/index.html. However, sometime during the offseason and before the bowl games I'll write a little essay on why baseball is better than college and pro football, despite the fact that recent surveys show that football is more popular than baseball by a two-to-one margin or more.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home