The Book of Mike

"This is no junior college. This is the notorious University of Miami.” -- Marlins starter Dontrelle Willis, after getting knocked around for six runs in 2 1/3 innings by the Canes.

Monday, October 06, 2003

Mark my words

No one is talking about it now, and I suppose it's not good form during the playoff run, but I'm already dreading the day when the Marlins not only fail to resign Ivan Rodriguez, but also cite his $7 million in deferred money as part of the reason why they can't go out and sign other free agents in an effort to make another playoff run.

I think there are about to be a lot more similarities between the 1997 Marlins and the 2003 Marlins. Aside from Juan Pierre and Jeff Conine, no one is signed for next year (other than Dontrelle and Cabrera who they can automatically renew).

To field the 2003 team again in 2004, it will cost the Marlins about $80 million in payroll, or $30 million more than the 2003 budget. I don't think the playoff run is going to fund that. Even a dramatic increase in season ticket holders and whatever windfalls befall the team probably won't be enough. I hope I'm wrong, but I don't think I am.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home