The Book of Mike

"This is no junior college. This is the notorious University of Miami.” -- Marlins starter Dontrelle Willis, after getting knocked around for six runs in 2 1/3 innings by the Canes.

Wednesday, October 26, 2005

Wilma Took My Power! The Day Two Recap

Last night I perfected my re-heating pizza on a barbecue grill skills. It was truly a site to behold. In addition to that, I warmed up some bbq-chicken that I'd grilled last night. This feast, along with some fresh fruit that's in danger of going bad, was served under candlelight outside on my balcony. If it wasn't borderline depressing, it would be kind of fun. In reality, it was some of both.

So, there's still no power. Thankfully it's still cool in Miami. That makes the lack of power tolerable. I'm not sure how long that will last though.

There's some running water in my apartment now too. That's a tremendous luxury. Another good fortune is that I don't have to boil the water. Throughout Broward County (Ft. Lauderdale) and Miami Beach (my old home), you have to boil the water. I hope those folks filled up their washing machines and their bathtubs. If not, I'd imagine that it's hard to boil water without any power.

Here's the message I got from FPL about power restoration:

FPL is aware of the widespread power outages in your area and we are working to quickly restore your service.

Due to Hurricane Wilma, power restoration may take longer than usual.

This is today's update as Florida recovers from Wilma. Damage assessments continue, and based on what we know so far and on the ability to get additional out-of-state crews:

95 percent of customers will be restored by November 15th. The rest will be restored by November 22nd. Specific restoration dates for counties in South Florida and the Treasure coast will be announced on Wednesday's evening news and FPL.com.

We know being without electricity can be an inconvenience. We are working hard to restore your power as quickly and safely as possible. Thank you for your patience.

November 15th? November 22nd? That's like... a long time from now. Wow. Hopefully the update this evening will be encouraging. There's a small neighborhood less than a quarter of a mile away from me that has power.

1 Comments:

  • At 9:34 AM, October 26, 2005, Blogger Mike said…

    Man, I wish I could do that. I'm too tired though. This whole experience has been pretty tiring.

    At least I have it better than a lot of people. Just being without power isn't so bad.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home