The Book of Mike

"This is no junior college. This is the notorious University of Miami.” -- Marlins starter Dontrelle Willis, after getting knocked around for six runs in 2 1/3 innings by the Canes.

Thursday, May 13, 2004

That Guy Whose Name I'm Not Saying

Lately I've been hyping the starts of a certain 2003 National League Rookie of the Year Award winner prior to his starts. I was trying to do my little part to make sure that all of you around the globe were tuning into Marlins games when this exciting young phenom took the hill.

I didn't do this early in the year; early in the year this pitcher started out 3 - 0 with a 0.00 ERA and a 1.000 batting average. Statistics that were simply sick. Then I started hyping him; then he started struggling. Now, I'm not a superstitious sort of a guy or anything, but some things are just bad luck.

And after last night's performance, especially where He Who Must Not Be Named (at least on this site) comes out and pitches a complete game (91 pitches!) against arguably the best offense in the National League, when I didn't mention a thing about it before hand, I'm really forced to think that my hype is working against this potential runaway trained. So we're going to take a "Harry Potter" style approach here and not refer to my favorite pitcher by name for a while and see how he does...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home