The Book of Mike

"This is no junior college. This is the notorious University of Miami.” -- Marlins starter Dontrelle Willis, after getting knocked around for six runs in 2 1/3 innings by the Canes.

Friday, May 20, 2005

Sox - Cubs

Interleague play starts today and it features all sorts of natural rivalries. Normally this is when I start to whine about how much pub the Mets and Yankees are getting, and how wrong that is, and how much more attention the White Sox and Cubs should be getting.

This year though, I can't make that complaint. Even if it's nowhere else, the Windy City Series has pretty much dominated Sports Illustrated online - even if it is only for today. Sure, much of the coverage focuses on how long it has been since either club won a World Series, but I'm not in a position to be picky.

There's even a great quote from Ozzie included:
"I think it's great when the game starts, but besides that I hate Wrigley Field," Guillen said this week." It's not about the Cubs fans, the players or the organization, it's about Wrigley Field."

While I've never been to Wrigley, I think that sums up my take on the rivalry and everything else related pretty well.

So, all is well in my simple world today. The Sox are playing the Cubs in a game that counts and the Sox enter the series favored. Well, things are only great as long as the Sox sweep, I suppose.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home