The Book of Mike

"This is no junior college. This is the notorious University of Miami.” -- Marlins starter Dontrelle Willis, after getting knocked around for six runs in 2 1/3 innings by the Canes.

Monday, June 13, 2005

CWS Update

My picks for the CWS are looking pretty horrible. Miami, Georgia Tech, FSU, and Fullerton all went down over the weekend. I could take an 0-for on my picks. That's pretty embarrassing.

I'd like to rant and rave about the Canes late season meltdown, but I just can't bring myself to. This was the weakest Canes team in many years. Other than Carrillo, the pitching just wasn't there. Offensively, there were plenty of nice players (the Figueroa brothers, Braun, and Jay in particular), but the team clearly missed Barket (Tulane), Dini (Tulane), and Hooft (Arizona State). Those three guys are all still playing today and the Canes might be too if they were all still in Coral Gables.

More than anything, this is college sports. And in college sports, the best stories aren't always the ones about who wins and loses. The best stories are often the ones that you might not always here. With the Canes, I'd wondered in recent weeks what was happening with the middle infield. One of last year's post-season stars for the Canes was SS Roger Tomas. This year, he struggled, and ultimately didn't play much late in the year. Tomas's performance didn't bother me in the slightest. I knew that he'd been dealing with a plethora of off field issues. Not seeing him in the lineup did make me fear the worst. While "the worst" isn't the case with Tomas, it's been a really tough period for this young man.

This isn't an example of one of "the best stories" that you'd like to hear about, but Tomas has proven himself to be one of the best in terms of heart. I'm really hoping that things work out for him and that he regains his health.

2 Comments:

  • At 2:46 PM, June 13, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I really can't tell you how sorry I am that your picks aren't goin well.

    I definitely need some beer...

    ...crap-ass Gators...

     
  • At 3:25 PM, June 13, 2005, Blogger Mike said…

    Tulane knocked off Rice today. I'd say I'm cheering for Arizona State this weekend, but that would probably be the kiss of death for them, so I'll spare them that.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home