The Book of Mike

"This is no junior college. This is the notorious University of Miami.” -- Marlins starter Dontrelle Willis, after getting knocked around for six runs in 2 1/3 innings by the Canes.

Monday, May 23, 2005

Carillo Loses

It had to happen eventually, I suppose. Miami's Cesar Carillo, who had never participated in a game the Canes lost, took his undefeated career to the hill on Thursday night against the Clemson Tigers. Now, Clemson is no slouch of a ball club, but Cesar has beaten better. Cesar has beaten better in bigger games with more on the line. It didn't happen on Thursday though.

Carillo took the loss in a 15 - 5 debacle at the hands of Tigers. Cesar gave up 11 earned runs in 3.2 innings; at least he didn't lose a 1 - 0 heartbreaker. This game was decided early.

Football fans will remember that Clemson has not been kind to the Canes this academic year. That held up all weekend, in fact. The Canes were swept in South Carolina, losing all three games. This marks the first time since 2002 that the Canes were swept in a multi-game series.

This past weekend's outcome really lessens my hopes for the post-season for the Canes. The ACC tournament begins tomorrow (with a 10 am matchup against NC State). That will quickly be followed by regionals, and then hopefully super regionals and the College World Series.

It's tough to look too far ahead for the Canes though. Carillo was dominant for most of the year, as he was last season. In three recent outings though, he has looked extremely hittable. The results alone prove that out. I have no insight into what the cause of that is. Maybe he's tired. Maybe he's tipping his pitches. It has likely influenced his draft status. What's more concerning, at least in the short term, is the impact this has on the Canes.

Putting Cesar on the hill for the Canes was a guaranteed win for the Canes. That's not a given anymore. After seeing him struggle against the likes of North Carolina in mid-April, that seemed possible. Now that it has actually happened, we know it to be true. That's a grim reality to face for the Canes, as they're not even sure at this point who they can count on as a second starter.

College baseball championships are won with pitching - particularly depth of quality pitching. At this point, and I sure hope I'm wrong, the Canes seem to have neither.

As much as it pains me to pick them, I'm guessing Florida State will win the ACC tournament.

6 Comments:

  • At 12:14 PM, May 23, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    You are just saying that to make me feel better and get my hopes upso they can be dashed liek so many 40-yards...

    Oh wait. What the hell does that mean?

     
  • At 12:17 PM, May 23, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I really should check these things before I post. Typos suck...

     
  • At 12:37 PM, May 23, 2005, Blogger Mike said…

    No, I'm not messing with you. I'm not sold on any ACC team, and I like FSU as much as any team this year. They seem to be going better than UM, UNC, and GT.

    These comments do suck though. I should go back to the old Haloscan comments. These are uneditable, which is bad - I can't even delete these, like on the other site.

     
  • At 1:01 PM, May 23, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I'll just be careful - and use the 'preview' function more often...

    I will definitely be paying attention to the tournament. Do you know if any of the games are to be on national TV - and is there a good site to keep up with all of the stuff (besides theacc.com)?

    I've obviously been hoping that the Noles would find a groove at the end of the season - maybe they can put together a good run. However - after all the years of amazing lack of success in the CWS, etc. - I have come to expect failure in the post-season no matter how good FSU is.

     
  • At 1:08 PM, May 23, 2005, Blogger Mike said…

    So far the best I've found is the ACC site. I'm hoping that the Jacksonville paper - or someone up there - will cover it aggressively.

    I don't think there's national TV. The Canes will be on CSS - which isn't on DirecTV. FSU should be on Sunshine. I'm pretty sure that Sunshine will carry the games over the weekend - at least they did last year.

     
  • At 1:13 PM, May 23, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Oh well. Sigh - I miss Sunshine...

    I'll check in on the ACC site when I can. I'm glad you're still keeping up with this stuff over here. Thanks, sir!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home