The Book of Mike

"This is no junior college. This is the notorious University of Miami.” -- Marlins starter Dontrelle Willis, after getting knocked around for six runs in 2 1/3 innings by the Canes.

Sunday, October 30, 2005

Just About Back

Yay! My power came back late Thursday night. After my three-and-a-half days without electricity, I've found a new appreciation for electricity. That, like a lot of other things, is something that I've just come to take for granted over the years.

I was even able to buy gasoline this morning without having to wait in line. That's probably something that we all take for granted too, but it hasn't been a given in Miami this week. In some parts of town there are still lines for gas - lines that can stretch from a few blocks to a few miles.

The curfew is still in effect around town, but it's been extended from 8 PM to 11 PM or midnight. Still, I haven't ventured out much at night, mostly because (at least until this morning) it didn't seem like it was going to be possible to refuel the car.

The grocery stores are coming back to life too. There's fresh meat, baked goods and fruit/vegetables. The frozen sections are being restocked. Up until late yesterday, there was mostly only canned foods and beer to be had. Yeah, that sounds fun, but even that gets old after a time.

I don't have any television service yet, but I have pretty much everything else. Actually, I can't even get someone on the phone to come out and take a look at my satellite dish (or to help me find wherever it might be now). Hopefully that will get worked out eventually. Regardless, I don't really care too much at this point. Baseball season is over and I'm not finding myself missing television all that much.

I went to the Canes game at the Orange Bowl yesterday. That was an experience. There were only about 30,000 people there, for what was to be homecoming. But, all things considered, that was a pretty good crowd. It was definitely a loud crowd. It was a weird experience though. There was visible damage to the scoreboard and a few sections of seating. Part of the fence that keeps people out of the stadium was also lost. The most unusual thing of all was that one light tower (on the North side of the stadium) was completely missing. Wilma took that with her I guess.

Oh, and the Canes won. Big deal. I don't think anyone really cares at this point. It was just nice to do something different for a few hours and not be reminded about the Hurricane, gas lines, and the like (despite the fact the the Canes are the Canes and that they were wearing hurricane warning flags on their helmets).

It almost feels like normal here in Miami now. That's pretty good.

1 Comments:

  • At 9:09 AM, November 05, 2005, Blogger Mike said…

    I know, I know - I suck. My excuse is that I've been spending what would normally be my blog time trying to secure a location to watch the freaking game. Still no television at my house, so that's out.

    I have high hopes (the Canes haven't lost a game in the Coker era when they were underdogs), but the reality of it is that this will be rough tonight.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home