The Book of Mike

"This is no junior college. This is the notorious University of Miami.” -- Marlins starter Dontrelle Willis, after getting knocked around for six runs in 2 1/3 innings by the Canes.

Friday, July 08, 2005

Credit to the Canes

Greg Cote wrote a nice piece about Ray Bellamy which was featured in today's Herald. You may not remember Bellamy, but he was the first black college football player at a major football program in the South.

Bellamy received his historic scholarship in December of 1966. Since then the landscape of college football - in the South and throughout the country - has changed significantly.

While the University of Miami seldom receives credit for these types of things, today's article reminded me of three significant events in collegiate sports that Miami blazed the trail in: one is Bellamy's scholarship; second is that Miami was the first school to award an athletic scholarship to a woman; third is that Miami was the first to sign an apparel/marketing contract with a sporting goods company (Nike).

The third event may not be the most positive of things - at least in many people's eyes, but it's still significant and has changed the face and the shape of college athletics over the past few decades. Awarding the first football scholarship to a black player in the South and the first athletic scholarship to a woman are signifcant though, no matter how you look at it. Just thought I'd point it out that each of those things happened in the same place. Go Canes!

7 Comments:

  • At 9:12 PM, July 10, 2005, Blogger Mike said…

    Thanks for soiling my pro-Canes post with your filth.

    BTW - I hope you caught that God has "lyme disease." That's a clever coverup. I suppose that's supposed to make me feel bad about making fun of him.

     
  • At 9:33 PM, July 10, 2005, Blogger Mike said…

    Really? Do I really make fun of everyone? I may have to re-evaluate this whole blog thing. I don't intend to make fun of everyone. Well, maybe one or two people from time to time - but not you.

     
  • At 9:38 PM, July 10, 2005, Blogger Mike said…

    You must need to work on your reading between the lines ability if you think I'm a decent guy. Maybe the truth will come out on the other site tomorrow.

     
  • At 10:19 AM, July 15, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Mike, who was the female athlete that rec'd the first scholarship and for which sport?

     
  • At 10:32 AM, July 15, 2005, Blogger Mike said…

    Ahh - you called me on it. I was too lazy to look it up before and now I'm struggling to find it. The scholarship was awarded in golf. I'm having a hard time coming up with the name. I know the story from back when I worked in the Athletic Department, but that was just before everything went online - and I'm not finding a record of it anywhere. I'll keep looking.

     
  • At 5:22 PM, July 15, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    See what being lazy gets you. No big deal, I was just wondering. Do you know @what year?

     
  • At 7:57 PM, July 17, 2005, Blogger Mike said…

    I'm not sure of the year either. I've Googled everything I could think of, but have come up empty. I'll drop a note to the Women's Golf SID and see what I can find out.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home