The Book of Mike

"This is no junior college. This is the notorious University of Miami.” -- Marlins starter Dontrelle Willis, after getting knocked around for six runs in 2 1/3 innings by the Canes.

Sunday, July 17, 2005

Reading

I am regularly accused of reading two types of books exclusively:

1. Baseball books
2. Poker books

But that's unfair. I read books of all kinds. To help dispel this unfair myth, I'm going to list some of the books that I've read within the past six months that aren't baseball or poker (or even diet/exercise related). I won't even provide Amazon links that would get me a kickback in case you bought anything (but you can still click on the Amazon link on the side and I'll get a cut of whatever you buy). Anyway, here are some titles I've recently read:

  • Blink, by Malcom Gladwell
  • The Tipping Point, by Malcom Gladwell
  • Bringing Down the House - technically it's a gambling book, but it's more of a story than that, so I'm listing it.
  • The Disapparation of James, by Anne Ursu - you might otherwise know her as BatGirl, but this is totally different
  • The Meaning of Sports, by Michael Mandelbaum - well, it's definitely a sports book, but not technically a baseball book. But I'm listing it anyway because of it's sociological elements.
  • Eats, Shoots & Leaves, by Lynne Truss - those of you who pay too much attention to the site may remember that I read this book last year. But I just re-read it. If you read this site or FishStripes regularly, you know that I should read books like this one more frequently.
  • Pride and Prejudice, by Jane Austen
  • Persuasion, by Jane Austen
Ouch. The list is a lot shorter than I thought it would be. I've recently read more than twice that many baseball related books. Maybe I really do need to branch out and vary my reading a little more frequently. We'll see.

6 Comments:

  • At 9:55 AM, July 18, 2005, Blogger Mike said…

    Ursu is great. It's completely different from her baseball writing, but The Disapparation of James is a great story. I would recommend it - although it's not the same sort of appeal as Rammer Jammer.

     
  • At 10:00 AM, July 18, 2005, Blogger Mike said…

    The Gladwell books are both very good. I would recommend Blink before The Tipping Point. But once you've read one, you don't have to read the other (there's some overlap).

    You might consider Austen - especially if you can read it at Starbucks or somewhere public. It's a hit with the ladies.

     
  • At 10:11 AM, July 18, 2005, Blogger Mike said…

    I'm telling you, put some Austen in front of you (don't even read it) and sit at Starbucks for five minutes. Women will flock to you.

     
  • At 6:33 PM, July 19, 2005, Blogger Mike said…

    POOF.

    It is indeed chick lit. The Devil Wears Prada = modern Austen.

     
  • At 12:54 PM, July 22, 2005, Blogger Carolina said…

    Mike=jerk who deletes my comments

     
  • At 12:56 PM, July 22, 2005, Blogger Mike said…

    Here is Carolina's original comment (unedited), which I previously deleted:

    "I’m taking credit for introducing him to Austen. I’m just surprised he admitted publicly to reading both books.

    Also, Austen is NOT 'chick lit.' It is so much more. "

     

Post a Comment

<< Home