The Book of Mike

"This is no junior college. This is the notorious University of Miami.” -- Marlins starter Dontrelle Willis, after getting knocked around for six runs in 2 1/3 innings by the Canes.

Tuesday, July 26, 2005

A New Favorite Quote

One of my favorite regular features at Baseball Prospectus is their "This Week in Quotes" retrospective (sorry - no link, as their site is down; I'll update it later). At the very least, it's always good for a chuckle. Once in awhile, there's an all-time classic shared, as is the case this week:

As much as I like Mike Cameron, this is possibly my all-time favorite quote: "The sun has been there for 500, 600 years . . ." --Mets outfielder Mike Cameron, after teammate Carlos Beltran lost a ball in the sun against the Dodgers (New York Daily News)

Now, I'm a big Mike Cameron fan. I wish he was still a White Sox. But that line is funny. I mean, c'mon: what does Mike think provided light back in the Middle Ages? Assuming that Mike is a Christian, does he think that Jesus walked around in the dark?

1 Comments:

  • At 10:00 AM, July 27, 2005, Blogger fishfan24 said…

    That's hilarious. I kept trying to think of what he could have meant, and I couldn't think of anything that made sense. It's not like Shea has been there 500 years, so he couldn't be referring to the location of the sun... it's just ridiculous. The only thing that could save him is if he was being sarcastic.

    I mean, that's just the kind of thing I would say, "Oh yeah, baseball's been around for a couple of years, ya know?", if someone asked me a dumb question about the history of the game or something.

    Other than that... whoa.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home